Thursday, January 5, 2012

Mountain man 2
30'x24" oil on canvas


Most of the scene was in the shade so I had to carefully control the subtle color temperatures and values. I was focusing on capturing this mountain man's relaxed posture and facial expression.

I just simple started even though the subject is very complicated.

I started it from the basic shape and simple values.


For the most important part, matching value of the figure' head and background was being colored.


Finishing the first session, the canvas and pallet were moisturised with water spray so I can keep the wet and wet technique next day. Earth colors such as umber dry very quickly, even overnight.

I added the small tree next the big tree trunk because the big tree and model's knee are at the same angle. Only the refined parts and completed objects were left for completion.


No comments: